Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Students Making a GAME Plan?

The first thing that I though of when the GAME Plan was introduced at the beginning of the course was that it was a glorified goal setting approach. We were to develop a goal and the steps needed to fulfill this goal. The author just came up with a fancy way of saying what we already knew how to do. I can't say that I am surprised. Educational theorists have been regurgitating the same ideas under new names for years. Goal setting is not a new concept for our students. What might be new is having the students actively involved in the formation of the goal. This can pose a tremendous challenge. It is hard for high school students, let alone elementary students, to recognize weaknesses and needs to have to be developed. This is a challenge for items in which they are actually interested in. Attempting to have students create goals and action plans based on technological needs can be truly daunting. While students enjoy technology and use it more than any other generation learning about it and developing skills with it is a completely different task. It also requires that the teacher instills within their students that these technological standards are truly necessary for their success. This is were I struggle with. After reading the NETS-T and NETS-S standards I have to say that I don't completely agree that these concepts are truly needed to ensure success. Furthermore I don't completely agree that these skills need to be taught during a social studies class. Teaching these skills and concepts needs to happen in specific computer courses and solidified during content area classes. I can honestly say that I have struggled with the motivation to conitnue through the GAME Plan process. At this point I am skeptical that my students will remain focused and motivated through the process. Goal setting and action planning is not new to our students, no matter what name we give it. Trying to force one particular process I feel is inappropriate. One size does not fit all in education. Since the basis of establishing goals and completing steps to attain the goal are in place (and have been for years) all we really need to do is be more mindful of creating goals that may have a technological application. In the end, I honestly cannot see my students choosing a technology standard that they want to develop, establish a plan of action, carry that action plan out, and eventually reflect on their success. I have struggled with this, why would I expect my students to do so.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I agree with you about the term GAME Plan - and the fact that educational theorists are constantly coming up with new lingo to describe old ideas. Right now, the two big buzz words are RTI and differentiation - but in a sense, they're just glorified versions of tracking.

I've found with elementary students that any sort of goal setting needs to be measurable and visual. For example, we set goals for our math facts and I created a bulletin board with ice cream bowls for each student. When they pass their 0 test, they get a scoop of ice cream in their bowl, 1 test they get another scoop, 2 test they get chocolate syrup, etc. At the end of the year, we have an ice cream party and they get whatever they have earned. I'm usually not a fan of using food as an incentive - but our PTO donates ice cream at the end of the year for classroom celebrations, so this a good way to put it to use.

My struggle for using the GAME Plan for NETS-S standards is that most of them are not real measurable - which can be very difficult when trying to use them with students.