Friday, February 19, 2010

6713 Reflection

The GAME Plan that was developed towards the beginning of this course shows promise. Unfortunately the bulk of the plan is to occur after this course ends. Therefore I have not had much progress or room for reflection during the course. As the majority of the steps commence I expect to have a decent level of growth in instructional ideas. I am not sure that the plan will revolutionize my teaching but any growth is beneficial. The process of the GAME Plan is not a new one. Even though there are fancy new names and terms it is still an action plan. Honestly I feel that I have an appropriate level of technology integration in my course. I have included many units that have webquests as major activities, a few wiki page creation projects, and consistent blog posts. There were not that many ideas that I have not come across before. The one that was new (digital storytelling) does not necessarily inspire me to immediately include it in the near future. I honestly am not sure that this method will lead to greater retention or mastery of concepts. I should correct that. I am not sure that this method is superior to more non-technological methods.

1 comment:

cmbrady said...

One thing that I have learned as a teacher is that I cannot or should not use any new fad that comes to teaching. I have learned to do some investigation prior to using the new ideas. I ask myself what is best for the kids? Will digital storytelling inspire your students? How much time is needed to accomplish this assignment.
This year thinking maps are the districts big push. They work, but we are being forced to use them. Last year it was essential questions. The list continues each year. My point is to use what works. 21st century skills appear to work. I am pretty far from utilizing them a lot in the classroom. The schools that appear to really benefit from the 21st century skills are schools and districts that embrace technology. You are right GAME plan has been around for along time, but it does give a nice and easy focus. Whether it is with technology or not.